Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension Help! Weird vibration after lowering springs installed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 09:59 PM
calisao80
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Weird vibration after lowering springs installed.

I just installed H & R springs on Friday. Now i feel a weird vibration in the front of the car from 1500 to 2500 rpm. I haven't done an alignment yet, but I don't think that's the problem. Any advise would be helpful.

2010 mini s

Old 05-27-2010, 10:50 PM
traction
1st Gear
probably cv joints. mine does it too.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:30 AM
tvrgeek
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Brand new and CV's vibration? Is there a geometry problem here?

Old 05-30-2010, 08:39 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I think you need the alignment first.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:11 PM
YourBoyRay
2nd Gear
I just bought the H&R Sport Springs through Alta and wanted to install them this coming weekend. So you have to get an alignment done first before installing these? Also, through who should i get the alignment done (please anyone suggestion except the Mini dealers)?

Old 05-30-2010, 12:29 PM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by YourBoyRay
I just bought the H&R Sport Springs through Alta and wanted to install them this coming weekend. So you have to get an alignment done first before installing these? Also, through who should i get the alignment done (please anyone suggestion except the Mini dealers)?

NO, after theyre in.

Mine has the vibration too... ive put about twenty-some thousand on them and its still there lol

Old 05-30-2010, 12:40 PM
YourBoyRay
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by iwashmycar
NO, after theyre in.

Mine has the vibration too... ive put about twenty-some thousand on them and its still there lol
Is it a strong vibration? I don't want my Mini shaking like crazy as I motor about town.

Also, did you do the alignment after the springs installed?

Old 05-30-2010, 05:10 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
OP needs an alignment after the springs install. Do this before changing the CVs.

Old 05-30-2010, 05:41 PM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Originally Posted by YourBoyRay
Is it a strong vibration? I don't want my Mini shaking like crazy as I motor about town.

Also, did you do the alignment after the springs installed?

not really, just while accellerating in second gear. almost feels like an off-balanced wheel, though ive had many different wheels on there lol

i got it aligned after the install, yes

its hit or miss... seems to just depend on the car from what ive read

Old 05-30-2010, 09:53 PM
YourBoyRay
2nd Gear
thank you iwashmycar (your screen name makes me laugh like crazy eveytime i look at it).

I'll get an alignment done as soon as installed too, it due regardless so I might as well mod it now and then align it, kills two bird with one Mini.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:05 AM
cmcveay
3rd Gear
I had the same thing when I lowered mine. It had about 7k on it at the time. The 4 wheel alignment helped a little and now, it's got about 17k on it and I hardly notice it. From what I've seen in previous posts on the issue, it's because of the change in angle on the driveline. There are lots of 20, 30 and 50k plus lowered MINI's out there still running strong though.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:27 AM
tvrgeek
5th Gear
I still am quite concerned that lowering an inch and a half is causing CV joint vibration issues. The very concept of a CV is... ready for this? CONSTANT velocity. Of course the are not, but just much better than a universal joint. If you get vibration at half the intended travel, there is something very wrong. Design wise.

Lets throw some theories out there:

#1 Phasing issue: Even CV joints should be in phase. Each ball should be lined up with the corresponding ball in the other end, just like a universal. The more ***** in the CV, the less sensitive it would be. I wonder if the splines are not keyed, so the amount of offset between a ball on the inner race and a ball on the outer race could vary. That would explain why some cars are worse than others. This would be an assembly procedure that does not matter at stock ride, but needs to be addressed when lowered.

#2 Exceeding permissible operating angle: Is the axle already offset a lot at stock ride height? Then the lowered stance cold be pushing the limits of prudent offset angle. This would have been a design compromise for the very tight packaging. Exaggerated by #1 above.

#3 BMW are morons. I seriously doubt this. But when brainstorming, one should always post all possible solutions.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:26 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
^^^ #2 sounds most likely, and maybe there could be slight differences in clearances from car to car!??... I cant comprehend why it only affects 'some'

Ill be upgrading to coils soon so ill be able to see if anything differs especially at different angles. i want to go lower... gonna be pissed if it gets worse lol (seems likely)

Old 05-31-2010, 07:17 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Iwash, I think it is not wise to go too low on the coils, especially if you track the car.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:23 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tvrgeek
#2 Exceeding permissible operating angle: Is the axle already offset a lot at stock ride height? Then the lowered stance cold be pushing the limits of prudent offset angle. This would have been a design compromise for the very tight packaging. Exaggerated by #1 above.
Actually the MINI has a pretty nice axle angle and it takes a lot of lowering before the axle angle becomes as extreme as most other lowered cars. If you lower the car 1" or 1.5" like most springs and look under the car you'll see the axle angle is hardly outside the operating angle of the CV...especially when it's just sitting there uncompressed (i.e. not hitting a bump)

My car is lowered 6 inches, no vibrations (knock on wood) I'm still baffled by this since it seems to only be some cars and there's no noticeable pattern.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:25 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Rally@StanceDesign
Actually the MINI has a pretty nice axle angle and it takes a lot of lowering before the axle angle becomes as extreme as most other lowered cars. If you lower the car 1" or 1.5" like most springs and look under the car you'll see the axle angle is hardly outside the operating angle of the CV...especially when it's just sitting there uncompressed (i.e. not hitting a bump)

My car is lowered 6 inches, no vibrations (knock on wood) I'm still baffled by this since it seems to only be some cars and there's no noticeable pattern.
Do you have a pic of the angle, stock versus lowered? Thanks.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:00 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Originally Posted by slinger688
Iwash, I think it is not wise to go too low on the coils, especially if you track the car.
oh i know.. its probably also not wise to get VMaxx's either, especially if the car is tracked, but theres a good chance it wont be, as much as id like to lol...

just need another inch or so!

Old 05-31-2010, 08:06 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by slinger688
Do you have a pic of the angle, stock versus lowered? Thanks.
I don't, sorry.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:19 PM
calisao80
Neutral
Thanks for the help. Ill get the alignment done after I break in the springs. If the vibration continues I may take them off.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:23 PM
calisao80
Neutral
thanks

Thanks for the help. Ill get the alignment done after I break in the springs. If the vibration continues I may take them off.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:33 PM
KevinC
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have this EXACT issue, first I've seen of others having it. My car is on an H&R Touring Cup Kit. Aligned after installation, no other issues (other than that I wish the kit were a bit more aggressive, but I digress). Alignment is definitely not the problem in my case. I've suspected something CV-related all along, but exactly what?

Old 06-01-2010, 12:37 PM
tvrgeek
5th Gear
Kevin, have you looked at the CV phasing? How many ***** does the CV have?

Old 06-01-2010, 12:40 PM
tvrgeek
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Rally@StanceDesign

How did you lower it 6 inches when there is not that much travel? The rear arms hit the body at about 4 even if it had no stop in the shock. It looks like there is only about 2 1/2 bump at any corner.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
How did you lower it 6 inches when there is not that much travel? The rear arms hit the body at about 4 even if it had no stop in the shock. It looks like there is only about 2 1/2 bump at any corner.
No, the stock rear arms hit the body at 6" , a little more if you remove the control arm bumpstop.

I'm running (extremely) shortened bilstein struts on all four corners, and custom machined upper mounts front and back to reduce stack height and increase travel. I'm not a fan of the limited travel on our cars in stock form, so I did quite a bit of work to remedy it to my liking.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:34 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Kevin, have you looked at the CV phasing? How many ***** does the CV have?
3 on the outside CV.

(Edit: Now that I think about it, maybe I'm thinking of the inners)

Last edited by Rally@StanceDesign; 06-01-2010 at 02:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Suspension Help! Weird vibration after lowering springs installed.